Talbot Coat of Arms
More properly called an armorial achievement or an armorial bearing, historically, they were used by knights so that they could be identified especially in battle or jousting when fully clothed in armour. Brightly coloured patterns and colours made their appearance on shields, horse trappings and great coats, hence the term ‘coat of arms’.
The Talbot coat or crest features a lion and a dog. The lion stems from the family’s Welsh origins and an early Talbot, the Earl of Shrewsbury, was referred to by the king as ‘Talbott our Goode Dogge’. The family motto was ‘Forte et Fidele’ which translates as ‘Brave and Faithful’ and these qualities relate to the two animals. Apart from the example depicted here there are many more or less ornate versions of the crest but most incorporate the above basics and the predominant colours are yellow, red and black.
A brief Talbot family history
The Normans arrived from England in 1171. With their superior armour and weapons they quickly captured Dublin, forcing the Danish king, Hamund MacTurkill, to retire to his lands in Kinsaley. From here he endeavoured to mobilise a fleet to recapture Dublin but failed and was subsequently beheaded.
Among the invading Normans was Sir Richard de Talbot, a young knight from Shrewsbury but of French descent. He served his master, King Henry II, well in the invasion of Ireland and was rewarded with a grant of lands around Malahide about 1185. In 1475, his descendant had his standing further enhanced when King Edward IV conferred the title ‘Lord High Admiral of Malahide and the Seas Adjoining’ with an entitlement to customs dues. Beginning with a ‘motte and bailey’, a fortified enclosure, at Wheatfield opposite the Community School, the Talbots later built a fortified stone castle beside the nearby ancient church of St. Fenweis. Talbots occupied their castle continuously for eight hundred years except for the period from 1653 to 1660 when John Talbot and his family were sent to Connaught under the notorious ‘To Hell or to Connaught’ edict in Cromwellian times. The widowed Lady Margaret Talbot was created a baroness in 1831, the title ‘baron’ passing to her son on her death and continuing until the death of Lord Milo Talbot in 1973. His sister, Rose, sold the castle and the remaining 268 acres of the estate to Dublin County Council in 1976 following which it was opened to the public.
The titled Talbots
1st Baroness Talbot
Margaret O’Reilly (died 1834) of Ballinlough Castle near Athboy, Co. Meath married Richard Talbot (died 1788). She was related by marriage to the influential George Temple Grenville, later to become the Marquis of Buckingham and twice Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. His patronage would be of considerable benefit to Margaret and her offspring.
Margaret bore Richard eight sons and seven daughters, most of whom went on to be prominent in their own right. Among these offspring were Richard Wogan who succeeded to the Malahide estate and title; William who established the vast Talbot sheep station in Tasmania; Thomas who settled a large estate on the shores of Lake Erie in Canada; Sir John, a British navy admiral; Neil, a lieutenant colonel in the 14th Light Dragoons; Robert, who married Arabella, sister of Admiral Sir Charles Ogle, Bart.; a daughter who became a countess of the Austrian empire; Barbara, wife of Sir William Young, Bart., MP, Governor of Tobago and Catherine, wife of Lieut. General Sir George Airey, K.C.H., Colonel of the 39th Regiment.
Margaret was a stong, ambitious woman and had an eventful life as family fortunes waxed, waned and waxed again. No doubt helped by her own family connections she was created Baroness Talbot of Malahide in 1831 at the age of 86. She then attended the coronation of William IV in London and went to a concert hosted by the new queen at Brighton Pavilion. Lady Malahide died three years later.
2nd Baron - Richard Wogan Talbot
Richard Wogan Talbot, son of Richard and Margaret Talbot (later Baroness), was born in 1766. After he attended Manchester Grammar School he enlisted in the army and was created captain at age seventeen. After a spell on the staff at Dublin Castle, where the young Lieutenant Arthur Wellesley, future Duke of Wellington, was also an ADC at this time though his quarters were in Eustace Street, Talbot left the army, went to London and moved in Court circles He returned to Dublin, secured election to the Irish parliament at age 22 but was disqualified on age grounds. England was again at war and he re-joined the army as a lieutenant-colonel in command of a new regiment of militia, the 118th (Fingal) Regiment. They also became mutinous and were disbanded. Talbot then took command of the 23rd Regiment of Foot, the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and saw extensive war service on the Continent. Meantime, following his father’s sudden demise he lost no time in tackling the family debts including letting the family's Malahide Castle.
He carried out extensive repairs and improvements to Malahide Castle and let it again for the summer of 1825 to the Lord Lieutenant, the Marquis of Wellesley (the Duke of Wellington’s eldest brother Richard).
He brought partners into the cotton business established by his father but despite his best efforts the enterprise at Yellow Walls failed. It seems probable that he dismantled some of the mill buildings and re-used the stone to construct the military barracks that survived as farm buildings until demolished to make way for the entrance to the Milford housing estate in recent times and from which the area takes its name. When there was a dire shortage of coin in 1803, he set up a bank in Malahide with authority to issue small denomination notes. He was elected to Westminster in 1806 and continued there until he retired in 1830. He was a supporter of Catholic Emancipation. He sought to improve the farmland on Lambay and retired there for extended periods on several occasions. Talbot became Baron Talbot on the death of his mother in 1834 and a Privy Councillor in 1836. He became an early director of the Provincial Bank of Ireland which many years later amalgamated with the Munster & Leinster Bank and the Royal Bank of Ireland to form AIB. He was created Baron Furnival of Malahide in 1839 in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. He married firstly Catherine Malpas (d. c.1800) of Chapelizod and Rochestown, Co. Dublin, by whom he had two children. In 1806 he married Margaret Sayers daughter of Andrew Sayers, of Drogheda. He lived beyond his limited means throughout most of his life and was supported by his mother, Margaret. He died in 1849 and was succeeded by his brother.
3rd Baron - James Talbot
He was born about 1767 and entered Manchester Grammar school in 1780 and graduated from Trinity College, Dublin with a B.A. in 1788, a month after the death of his father. After a short spell on the Lord Lieutenant’s staff he moved to London to study law. He did not complete his studies but joined the diplomatic service. From 1796 until he retired in 1803 he engaged in highly sensitive and covert activities mainly in France and Switzerland. In 1804 he married Anne Sarah Rodbard of Somerset with whom he had seven sons and five daughters. The family lived in France and Italy for about thirteen years before returning to his wife’s family home in Somerset. On the death of his brother Richard in October 1849 he became 3rd Baron Talbot. However, he was too infirm to travel to Malahide and he died in December 1850, aged 83. He was succeeded by his first born son, also James.
4th Baron - James Talbot
James Talbot was an Anglo-Irish Liberal politician and amateur archaeologist. He was born on 22 November 1805, the son of James Talbot, 3rd Baron Talbot of Malahide, and Anne Sarah, daughter of Samuel Rodbard. His early childhood and education was in France and Italy. A studious young man he obtained a B.A. and later an M.A. at Trinity College, Cambridge where he was financed by his grandmother Margaret Talbot of Eccles Street in Dublin. In 1832 he was elected to the House of Commons for Athlone, but did not contest the 1835 general election, believing he could not win against Daniel O’Connell’s favoured candidate. In 1838 he set off with his aunt Eliza from Ballinclea House in Killiney on an extended tour of Europe and the near east. They spent over two years abroad during which he conducted much research while in Egypt and developed a keen interest in Roman antiquities. He succeeded his father as fourth Baron Talbot of Malahide in 1850 having already been in residence in Malahide and in 1856 he was created a peer of the United Kingdom as Baron Talbot de Malahide, in the County of Dublin. This gave him a seat in the House of Lords where he contributed regularly and from 1863 to 1866 he served as a Lord-in-Waiting (government whip) in the Liberal administrations of Lord Palmerston and Lord Russell. He was also a magistrate for Co. Dublin.James Talbot was also a noted amateur archaeologist and an active member of the Royal Archaeological Institute, serving as president for 30 years. Moreover, he was a Fellow of the Royal Society and of the Society of Antiquaries of London and served as president of the Royal Irish Academy. He was president also of the Geological and Zoological Societies of Ireland and vice-president of the Royal Dublin Society where he was a regular exhibitor of cattle at it’s shows. In that society’s autumn show he won a prize for seventeen varieties of farm produce from Lambay. He was instrumental in the revival of the Fingal Farming Society. Lord Talbot of Malahide married a well-to-do Scottish heiress, Maria Margaretta, daughter of Patrick Murray, of Simprim, Forfarshire, in 1842 but was left a widower in August, 1873. She was the last to be buried in the crypt in Malahide Abbey under the altar tomb associated with Maud Plunkett. He had a family of seven children. He died in Madeira in April 1883, aged 77, and was succeeded in his titles and estates by his eldest son.
5th Baron - Richard Wogan Talbot
He was born in London in 1846 and educated at Eton. After leaving Oxford University he joined the 9th Lancers, attaining the rank of lieutenant but he did not remain long in the army, from which he resigned in order to join an exploration party making researches in the interior of Africa. After a long sojourn in these regions he returned to Europe, but set out a second time on his explorations, and later he published an interesting account of the many adventures which the party encountered.When Lord Talbot succeeded to the title in 1883, he found the estate much let down, but had little money to put things to rights. For some years he lived in a house in Malahide, and saved all he could, so as to spend it on putting the castle and estate into order. He married, first, Emily Harriet, daughter of Sir James Boswell, who died in 1898 leaving one son. He and his son then spent much time in travelling and the castle was again left empty for long periods. He married again in 1901, the wealthy Isabel Charlotte, widow of the late Mr. John Gurney, Sprouston Hall, Norfolk, by whom he had no issue. Her father had served under Wellington in the Peninsular War and lost a leg. On their return to Malahide in 1902, after a honeymoon in Italy, they were met at the station by their tenantry who unhitched the horses from their carriage and pulled it themselves up to the castle whilst the band played “Come Back to Erin”. An illuminated address was presented. Lady Isabel became president of the Mother’ Union for the Dublin diocese in 1909 and vice-president of the Alexandra College Guild. She became head of the Dublin branch of the Red Cross during World War I and was awarded an O.B.E. in 1920. She was also a talented artist. See her watercolour of the Malahide Martello tower on page 29. Lord Talbot became a Deputy-Lieutenant for the County of Dublin. He made efforts to develop the district, but the attempts to make it a popular watering-place were not as successful as had been hoped. Well acquainted with the needs of the men engaged in Irish sea-fishing, he helped in every movement for the development of this greatly neglected industry. He was fond of cricket, and established a club in the grounds of his demesne. He took little part in politics. With his second wife, he travelled extensively, visiting Europe, Egypt, China, Japan, the USA, Canada and Argentina. The sale of a painting by Franz Hals reputedly financed much of this travel.He died at Malahide Castle on 4 March 1921, aged 75, and was succeeded by his only son, the Hon. James Boswell Talbot. His widow moved to London and lived to the age of 80.
6th Baron - James Boswell Talbot
On the death of Lord Talbot in 1921, James Boswell Talbot succeeded to his father's estates and title. He was born in 1874, the only son and heir of Richard Wogan, the 5th Baron. At age 50 he married Miss Joyce Gunning Kerr, the eighteen year old daughter of an actor and London theatre manager. As was the case with his brother before him James and his new bride were met at the rail station by an enthusiastic crowd of locals who unhitched the horses from the carriage and hauled it up the decorated avenue led by the Yellow Walls band. He did not enjoy good health. His main interests were in horse racing, Irish wolfhounds and fishing at Mountshannon where they maintained a lodge and boat. Having inherited about 3,000 acres he had, by 1946, sold all but the 300 acres around the castle. He was of a retiring disposition but popular locally. His new wife assumed much of the day-to-day management of the castle. Lady Joyce took a keen interest in the Boswell Papers and was closely involved in their sale but not before she attempted to censor some of Boswell’s more explicit descriptions of his sexual encounters. She appears to have been well liked by the estate staff and took a personal interest in their lives. She was very active in the Irish Red Cross during World War II both locally and nationally. She had part of the castle prepared for an emergency during World War II with iron beds, dressings, etc.The sixth Lord Talbot died on 22 August 1948, without issue, and the title and property passed to his first cousin, Milo Talbot. His wife moved down to their fishing lodge at Mountshannon for a few years before retuning to England and marrying again but her second husband pre-deceased her. She died in 1980, aged 83, and is buried in St. Andrew’s Churchyard, Malahide.
7th Baron - Milo John Reginald Talbot
In 1948 the last lord, 7th Baron (Irl.) and 4th Baron (U.K.) C.M.G., F.L.S., succeeded to the title. Milo was born on 1 December 1912, the son of the Hon. Lt.-Col. Milo George Talbot C.B. who served in the Jowaki Expedition 1877-78, in the Afghan War 1879-80, in the Nile Expedition 1897-99 and in World War I 1914-18 He was a brother of the 5th Baron and married Eva Joicey. Their son, also Milo, was educated at Winchester and at Trinity College, Cambridge. He was described as having “a first class brain which he applied with ruthless practicality to any subject that appealed to him”. He entered the British diplomatic service in 1937 and later transferred to the foreign service where he had a distinguished career. He held important positions such as Chief of the Foreign Office Security Department, British Envoy to Laos and British Ambassador to Vietnam. He resigned in 1956.
Much of Milo’s career during the 1940s and early 50s is shrouded in mystery and rumour. At Cambridge, Guy Burgess had been his history tutor and Anthony Blount had also tutored him . Kim Philby and Donald Maclean were also at Cambridge around this time. Milo is thought to have worked in the Secret Service for some years during World War II and to have encountered some of these men in the Foreign Office and in diplomatic postings abroad especially at Ankara in Turkey. In the course of Milo’s time at the Foreign Office during the Cold War Burgess and Maclean defected to the Russians after Philby alerted them to the fact that they were under suspicion. Milo retired in 1956 aged 45. Philby subsequently defected to be followed by Blount who was exposed as a double agent and who had been a regular guest of Milo at Malahide Castle. When Milo died suddenly in Greece when apparently in good health rumours and innuendos again circulated. No post mortem was carried out. Milo’s sister Rose burned his papers immediately on his death and many of the Foreign Office papers relating to him have disappeared.
He attended the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953. Apart from periods of leave, he did not take up residence at Malahide until 1956. He found the castle mantled in ivy with lots of laurel, brambles and elder round about and the kitchen garden needing much attention. He cleared the ivy, re-stuccoed and re-pointed the walls and cleaned up the grounds. An enthusiastic gardener and botanist and a plant specimen collector of international renown, he developed the gardens at Malahide keeping an exact and detailed series of Garden Books of all his collection of seeds and plants. In all, he introduced over 4,500 different species and cultivars. His Garden Books will form the basis of the botanical exhibition being developed in the newly opened gardens at Malahide Castle. Milo also organized and financed the compilation Endemic Flora of Tasmania which ran to six volumes. He was an avid and expert stamp collector but sold his collection for a large sum. He did not marry and did not have an easy manner with women including his sister Rose who choose to live elsewhere in Dublin. Conscious that he had no closely related heir who might be interested in inheriting the castle and estate he entered negotiations with the government of the day to take over the castle as a state residence for the Taoiseac. It appears the offer was receiving serious consideration when he died suddenly in a hotel in Greece on 14th April, 1973 after a Mediterranean cruise. He is buried in St. Andrew’s Churchyard in Malahide. With his demise without a direct heir the baronetsy in the peerage of the United Kingdom became extinct. However, in the Irish peerage the title of Baron Talbot de Malahide passed to his third cousin Reginald Stanislaus Victor Talbot who resided in England. Faced with very substantial death dutes, his sister Rose then reopened negotiations to offset these against handing the castle over to the state. However, there had been a change of government in the meantime and the offer no longer found favour. Rose decided to sell and move to the family estate in Tasmanian. The castle and demesne were purchased by Dublin County Council and opened as a public amenity in 1978.
Some other notable Talbots
In 1641 John Talbot succeeded his father, Richard, to the lordship of the Talbot estates in Malahide, Garristown and Castlering (Co. Louth). The Talbots were Old English Catholics and staunch royalists.
The outbreak of war in Ulster in 1641 rapidly spread here to Fingal during the winter and spring of 1641-42. Although John Talbot of Malahide appears to have endeavoured to steer a neutral course many nobility in Fingal, including other Talbots, rebelled. The Duke of Ormonde, on behalf of the Lords Chief Justices, garrisoned Malahide Castle but desisted from laying waste the farmland and village. The 500 acres about the castle were very productive and Talbot was supplying the garrison and Dublin with grain and vegetables at a time when the authorities were concerned with a very severe food shortage. Nevertheless, John was indicted for treason in February 1642, outlawed and his estates at Malahide, Garristown and Castlering declared forfeited. However, he managed to rent back his own castle and estate for a further decade. John Talbot suffered a further setback in December 1653 when Myles Corbet, Commissioner of Affairs in Ireland, fleeing from an outbreak of plague in Dublin ousted the family and obtained a seven-year lease on the castle. Corbet had been one of the signatories to the death warrant of King Charles I and was rewarded by Oliver Cromwell with the title of Chief Baron of the Exchequer.
Talbot was briefly imprisoned in 1652 for facilitating the passage of King Charles’s messenger to the Isle of Man. Further trouble followed when he and many others were ordered to transplant to Connaught by Cromwell. To refuse meant an even worse fate. Hence the origin of the phrase ‘To Hell or to Connaught’.
Talbot, his wife, family and any tenants willing to accompany them and carrying as much provisions as they could on their farm carts made the long trek into Connaught between the winter of 1654-5 and early spring of 1655. By this time land was in short supply in Connaught and Talbot did not get the hoped for acreage, being granted only 333 acres in the barony of Athlone.
Later, in 1655, Talbot successfully appealed for a safe-conduct pass from Connaught to Dublin in order ‘to dispose of his corn and other goods’. Clearly, a crop had been harvested and stored at Malahide the previous autumn, only some of which the Talbots had been able to convey to Connaught. A deeply religious man, he managed, in the course of this visit, to make a clandestine pilgrimage to a holy well in Portmarnock.
It is said that during Corbet’s tenure an effigy of the Blessed Virgin, which occupied the panel immediately above the chimney-piece in the Oak Room of Malahide Castle, miraculously disappeared, and, in a manner equally unaccountable, returned to its position upon Corbet’s flight from Malahide. The collapse of the Commonwealth government in late 1659 lifted the cloud of misfortune that had dogged the Talbots for years. Corbet fled the country but was arrested and executed as a regicide at Tyburn in London in 1661, leaving the way clear for Talbot to again rent his castle, farmland and orchards in Malahide. However, those who had been granted his other estates remained in situ. In the course of a decade of legal wrangling, until his death in 1671, he regained title to Malahide but he lost the customs of the port of Malahide, all his land in Castlering and most of the Garristown land amounting to 2,716 acres in all or two-thirds of what he inherited in 1640.
Richard Talbot (died 1788) married Margaret O’Reilly (died 1834) of Ballinlough Castle near Athboy, Co. Meath. She was related by marriage to the influential George Temple Grenville, later to become the Marquis of Buckingham and twice Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. His patronage would be of considerable benefit to Margaret and her offspring.
Margaret bore Richard eight sons and seven daughters. She was later created Baroness Talbot. Among these offspring were Richard Wogan who succeeded to the Malahide estate and title; William who established the vast Talbot sheep station in Tasmania; Thomas who settled a large estate on the shores of Lake Erie in Canada; Sir John, a British navy admiral; Neil, a lieutenant colonel in the 14th Light Dragoons; Robert, who married Arabella, sister of Admiral Sir Charles Ogle, Bart.; a daughter who became a countess of the Austrian empire; Barbara, wife of Sir William Young, Bart., MP, Governor of Tobago and Catherine, wife of Lieut. General Sir George Airey, K.C.H., Colonel of the 39th Regiment.
Richard considered it expedient to convert to the Established Church. Margaret approved but remained a Catholic.
He raised a company of Volunteers, akin to a home guard or local defence force in the Barony of Coolock. It comprised mainly Anglican Protestants, but some Presbyterians and Roman Catholics were admitted. They had to pay for their own uniforms and arms. His company wore white breeches and scarlet coats faced with black over white waistcoats. Early in November 1779, the anniversary of the birth of William III and of his landing in England, one hundred and fifty of Captain Talbot’s men joined up with other north side Volunteers and all nine hundred marched through the city to College Green led by the Duke of Leinster. There, in company with south side Volunteers, they called for Free Trade between Ireland and England, firing off their muskets and discharging small cannon. The scene was recorded by the English painter Francis Wheatley in his well known canvas. Talbot’s Volunteers later formed the nucleus of an officially recognised regiment of Fencibles, renamed the 106th Regiment of Foot with Richard as their colonel. They proved unruly and mutinous and were disbanded in 1783 but not before they had cost Talbot a great deal of expense.
He carried out major works on the family castle and was an initial trustee of the Malahide Turnpike. The enterprising Richard was concerned by the degree of poverty and idleness among his tenants and inspired by the explosive growth of mechanised cotton spinning by water power in Lancashire and Yorkshire using Arkwright machinery he set about establishing a major cotton processing industry at Barrack Bridge at Yellow Walls. Commencing in 1782 and aided by a grant from the Irish parliament he built a large five-storey mill driven by a water wheel 18 feet in diameter. He hoped to give employment to 1,000 people in various aspects of the business. He also obtained parliamentary approval, on terms similar to those obtained by the Grand Canal Company, to construct a canal from Malahide into County Meath with the right to collect tolls.
However, Richard died suddenly and intestate on the 24th of October, 1788, with truly enormous debts, just as work commenced on the canal and the cotton enterprise was struggling.
The ‘Freeman’s Journal’ reported that:
The remains of the late Colonel Talbot were interred on Sunday morning early, in the family vault in Malahide, attended by a numerous train of tenantry, whose regret for their beloved landlord was fully evinced in their mournful and silent deportment during the funeral ceremony, which was performed by torchlight.
Colonel Thomas Talbot (died 1853) son of the above mentioned Richard and Margaret, was born at Malahide Castle in 1771. He began his military career a few weeks before his twelfth birthday when he became an ensign in the 66th Regiment of Foot. His appointment was doubtless obtained through the good offices of Lady Temple, wife of the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland and a relation of Thomas’s mother. Whilst still only twelve years of age Thomas was promoted to lieutenant but was then retired on half pay as his regiment was reduced following the ending of the war with the American Colonies. Next he went to the Manchester Free Public School to complete his formal education. When Lord Temple, now the Marquis of Buckingham, was again appointed Lord Lieutenant in 1787 he summoned Thomas as one of his aides-de-camp and arranged a commission as a lieutenant in the 24th regiment of Foot. The young Arthur Wellesley, later the Duke of Wellington, was two years older than Talbot but still only an ensign when he also got promoted to lieutenant and joined the aides-de camp to Lord Buckingham. When the latter resigned a few years later Talbot, in 1790, sailed to join his regiment which was then doing garrison duty at Quebec. At the end of the following year he successfully sought a position as a personal aide to Colonel J. G. Simcoe, the first Lieutenant-Governor of the newly created province of Upper Canada, aided by a recommendation from his patron, the Marquis of Buckingham. On being promoted to captain he returned to England in 1794. He was with his regiment that winter when the English retreated before Napoleon in frozen Holland when thousands of men died of famine and cold. On his way back to England he was taken prisoner at sea. He acepted Quarter and was quickly exchanged on payment of 25% of one year’s pay as ransom for his honourable release. After being evacuated to England he had a spell of garrison duty at Gibraltar and having purchased a lieutenant-colonelcy he again returned to England. Following a further campaign in Holland in 1799 in charge of the second battalion of the 5th Regiment he surprised all at Christmas 1800 by selling his commission and taking ship for Canada. Starting as a backwoodsman with two paid helpers on a relatively small grant of land on the remote northern shore of Lake Eyre he began clearing the forest and planting crops. By dint of hard work and much clever negotiation with the authorities and some patronage he succeeded in the acquisition and settlement of a great landed estate for himself and the settlement of what came to be known as the Talbot Country.
Talbot’s administration was despotic. He was infamous for registering settlers’ names on the local settlement map in pencil and if displeased, was alleged to have erased their entry. However, his insistence on provision of good roads and their maintenance by the settlers quickly resulted in the Talbot Settlement becoming the most prosperous part of the province. By 1836 Talbot had the control of twenty-eight townships in the London and Western District, of which 540,443 acres were under patent or cultivation. He also negotiated with the Indians and built saw mills and grist mills.
He succeeded in attracting thirty thousand settlers to this area. However, he began to make political demands on the settlers, after which his power was reduced by the provincial government. Talbot’s abuse of power was a contributing factor in the Upper Canada Rebellion of 1837.
He built his own homestead on a cliff overlooking a sandy bay near Talbot Creek on Lake Eyre and named it ‘Malahide House’. It was demolished in 1997, generating much public outcry from heritage preservationists.
Growing frail and lonely at the age of seventy-five he gave half his estate to his nephew, Richard Airey, and willed the other half to his long time friend George MacBeth. Talbot died in 1853, aged eighty-three years.
Another of Richard’s sons, The Honourable Sir John Talbot (b. about 1769, d.1851) entered the English navy, in March, 1784, as captain's servant, on board the frigate Boreas the captain being Horatio Nelson, with whom he served in the West Indies until 1787, part of the time in the capacity of midshipman. As he rose steadily through the ranks and larger ships he served under Lord Hood and Lord Collingwood, both renowned admirals. In 1797, having been promoted post-captain in command of the Eurydice, regarded as a happy ship, Talbot and his crew refused to participate in the infamous Nore Mutiny and Blockade when 50,000 sailors, many of them Irish, in 113 ships refused orders, expelled their officers and set up a ship’s democracy. The mutineers were revolting against cruel officers and were seeking better rations, pay and shore leave. Talbot saw much active service on both sides of the Atlantic and in the Mediterranean during the course of which he took many prizes and was victorious in a number of actions against the French and Italians. In one particularly fierce four hour action Talbot’s 82 gun Victorious engaged the French 80 gun Rivoli in the course of which 400 of the latter’s crew were either killed or wounded before she struck her colours. The Victorious lost 27 men killed and 99 wounded. Talbot himself almost lost his sight when wounded by a splinter. He was nominated a K.C.B. (Knight Commander of The Most Honourable Order of the Bath) in 1815; made a Rear-Admiral in 1819, a Vice-Admiral in 1830, and a full Admiral (of the Red) in 1841; and created a G.C.B. (Knight Grand Cross of The Most Honourable Order of the Bath) in 1842. He married Maria Julia Everard, daughter of Lord Arundell on 17th October 1815 by whom he had two sons and five daughters. He died in 1851 having returned to the Roman Catholic faith.
Neil Talbot (d.1810) was another son of Richard. He entered the British army as an ensign in 1789 and rose steadily through the ranks and various regiments. In 1796 he moved to the 14th Light Dragoons, becoming a lieutenant-colonel in 1805. Three years later he embarked with his regiment to join the forces engaged in the Peninsula War. At the battle of Talevera in 1809 his horse was shot from under him but Talbot survived. In the summer of 1810, near Ciudad Rodrigo, when leading four squadrons of his dragoons he came upon a 200-strong square of French infantry concealed in long corn. Talbot ordered a charge but the well disciplined French stood up and fired at close range on the charging horsemen. Talbot was pierced by eight balls and fell dead along with eleven of his men just yards from the French. Both sides withdrew and his friend recovered his body. He was buried next day in the sloping ground in front of the fort where the enemy was holding out. A few days later that same friend saw his body blown in the air when a mine was detonated to disrupt a counter attack. In the words of his friend:He was a delightful fellow, a friend I most deeply regretted, but singular and eccentric, particularly in his dress. He was dressed, the day he was killed, in nankeen pantaloons. Never was anything like the grief of his loss. When we buried him not an eye was dry.
Yet another son of Richard Talbot was Colonel William Talbot (d.1845), born the seventh son at Malahide Castle in 1784. At the age of twelve he was sent to the renowned Manchester Free Public School. On leaving school he obtained an army commission and was posted to the West Indies. In 1814 he did the Grand Tour, accompanied by his sister Fanny. They visited Paris, Austria, Italy, Egypt and Constantinople. In 1820 he sailed to Van Diemen’s Land (Tasmania), a journey that took five months. He arrived in Hobart in November but then departed again for Sydney, Australia. He returned to Tasmania the following year with six convicts and a location order for 2,000 acres. He choose land at Great Swan Port on the east coast and looked set to become a successful farmer when it transpired his land had previously been granted to someone else. Talbot was then granted three thousand acres with frontages to the rivers Esk and Break o’ Day near Launceston in north-east Tasmania. Working in very difficult conditions and with the help of convict labour he soon cleared the land and became outstandingly successful as a wool producer. He built a timber dwelling house in the area called ‘Fingal’. However, it burned down in 1827 and in 1827/28 William built a new homestead and named it ‘Malahide’. By 1829 his stock had increased to 7,000 sheep and 1,000 head of cattle. By 1884 the estate was over 21,000 acres in extent and said to be one of the biggest and finest sheep stations in Tasmania. The surrounding area prospered with the discovery of gold and coal but Talbot stuck to his farming.William never married and died at his home, Malahide, in Tasmania on 22 December, 1845 aged 61 years. He willed his estate to his nephew, Richard Gilbert Talbot of Ballinclea, Killiney, Co. Dublin who was the second son of the third Baron, James Talbot de Malahide. The original house has been enlarged and altered over the years and is now a stone seven-bay two-storey building with an iron hipped roof and a full-length single storey veranda. It is classified as a historic building as it was one of the first stations to be built in Tasmania and is now considered to be of national and cultural importance.Until she died in 2009, the house and 8,100 hectare (20,000 acre) estate was the home of the last of the Malahide Talbots, the Hon. Rose Talbot. She went to reside there in 1976 having sold Malahide Castle to Dublin County Council following the death of her brother Milo, the last Lord Talbot. Today the estate is run by Fingal Pastoral Proprietary Limited and remains in the control of Talbot descendants.